303 - Head of Research
CITB aims to lead the construction sector by example to ensure fairness, inclusion and respect for all. We seek to build a workforce that reflects Britain’s diverse population and people from under-represented groups are encouraged to apply for vacancies.
Our main objective is to create a culture that helps all of our customers strive towards a workforce that is reflective of today’s society.
About the role:
As a member of the leadership team, this role leads the research team to develop and share an evidence base that supports CITB to develop its strategies and specific interventions on careers, standards and qualifications and training and development and to understand its impact. It also supports CITB’s programmes of thought leadership and engagement with government and other key bodies. It achieves this by producing and continuously updating CITB’s evidence of industry trends and needs. It responds both to the needs of internal and external research users, and also uses evidence to proactively recommend areas of action and insights to support CITB’s strategy and delivery.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
1. Develop and keep updated a comprehensive evidence base of industry trends and needs that CITB’s full range of activities and its engagement with governments, drawing on CITB research, external research and customer intelligence. Put in place processes to capture this intelligence on a dynamic basis and for sharing it with relevant internal and external customers.
2. Develop a flexible research programme that contributes to the evidence base and ensures that the research team employs a range of research approaches, including those that deliver rapid responses to evidence needs. This includes CITB’s programme of forecasting and local and sectoral analysis.
3. Ensure that there is a strong understanding of the key trends in the industry, of the external environment and of CITB’s strategies, key interventions and government and industry engagement. Lead the horizon scanning process to ensure that CITB anticipates key emerging trends and develops its response.
4. Develop and engage regularly with internal and external networks of subject matter experts.
5. Support CITB’’s interventions with evidence at all stages from the identification of outcomes, the shaping of interventions and the review of options for when programmes come to an end.
6. Proactively build cross functional links to ensure that research and evidence is used throughout CITB, particularly building links with the Strategy Team, with Communications & Engagement Teams and with Product and delivery teams both to build and to disseminate the evidence base
- Degree or equivalent level qualification or experience in related discipline
- Comprehensive experience in managing complex research programmes/projects
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts and principles within own professional discipline, gained through broad and in-depth experience – a recognised expert and acknowledged authority within research
- Advanced analytical skills in order to be able to evaluate factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations; demonstrable ability to filter, prioritise, analyse and validate potentially complex and dynamic material.
- High level of communication and networking skills, including interactive listening in order to be able to negotiate with other managers and senior leaders
- Negotiation, influencing and diplomacy skills in order to be able to achieve the overall right outcome for CITB
- Experience in planning and policy development
- Up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the latest developments and changes in the construction industry and its structure.
- Extensive knowledge of construction research and related stakeholders
- A Higher Degree or equivalent experience that includes an element of statistical analysis and a substantial research component.
- Project Management qualification
- Operational knowledge of other business disciplines in order to be able to resolve issues that have an impact beyond own professional discipline
- Car/Car Allowance
- 33 days holiday per year (including bank holidays)
- Flexible benefits including childcare vouchers, cycle to work and insurance
- Pension scheme
- Employee discounts
- Long service awards
- CITB recognition scheme
- Employee assistance programme
To apply for this vacancy, please follow the Apply button link within the advert.
• High level of communication and networking skills
• Comprehensive experience in managing complex research programmes/projects
31/03/2020, 23:55 hours